February 26, 2010

Response

.



[In the comments section, in response to the post below, Gabe wrote:]


------------------------------


I don't know if it would be possible to persuade you, but I think you over estimate the extent to which markets and capitalism are based on exploitation. Also the idea of turbo capitalism compared to earlier eras is overdone, and is somewhat a case of the left taking at face value the rhetoric of the business world.

Down to earth flexible markets have also been just as historically effective in degrading the environment, whatever their benefits in terms of reduced alienation.

I haven't watched this, but the relevant book is good:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYQqKxz8Tg


I don't know what it means for art if one no longer believes that the current moment is apocalyptic and that everyday social solidarity like well funded schools and childcare is where attention should be directed. High profits can be and are redirected for social good by being taxed, and they don't always or even usually depend on destroyed lives.


------------------------------


[It's true this is not really how it seems to me, but I want to remain open to the idea that I might, in general or just on specific points, be completely and utterly wrong. And I do feel apocalyptic thinking - which I am often guilty of - is always overly romantic, always contains more than a touch of wishful thinking: our times must be 'important' because we have come to 'the end'. And I remain in constant fear that I am simply becoming paranoid to the point of distraction. Still, the levels of global unequality do seem particularly savage to me. Not to mention the levels of inequality within any given society. Then again, what is this desire for the world to be fair.]


.

No comments: